Hi guys,
general computer science/Email/J2EE question.

In sending an email we use an implementation of the javax.mail.Session
class. In JBoss this is tied to java:/Mail

Could someone tell me how this works. Does the Session implementation
have to be setup somehow?

As far as I know, In SMTP there are 3 components.

1) User-Agents - normal email clients like outlook, eudora etc.
2) Transfer-Agents - which must know where a DNS is in order to know
to which Delivery Agent to give the mail.
3) Delivery-Agents - to send the mail to the individual client or wait for a
given amount of time until the client comes back.

I think that sendmail is actually both a Transfer-Agent and a Delivery-Agent.

So my questions:
a) Where does the javax.mail.Session class fit into this? It seems logical that it
should be just a User-Agent. But not sure if this is correct.
b) Does it have to be setup to know about a Transfer-Agent?

Also, this is fine for sending emails, but how is receipt of emails generally handled
in J2EE. I've read a good article on the server side about J2EE 1.4 and how it can use
the JCA to plug into SMTP servers and essentially get callbacks when mails arrive, but
I'm not sure if this is implemented yet etc

thanks for your time and answers,
Brian