SMS> The use case requiring ejb-refs is a module of resuable components that are
deployment
SMS> more than once with different security, transaction, envrionment, resource-refs,
etc.
SMS> based on the utilization of the component in the application workflow. You cannot
have
SMS> such a component's access to its dependent ejbs, resources, etc. be a hard-coded
SMS> source level property of the reusable component.
SMS> This is the same reason why I don't really believe in xdoclet as a production
mechanism.
SMS> Its fine to get a template of the metadata files bootstrapped, but having to
modify the
SMS> source to update the metadata becomes impossible when I am using the component
SMS> with completely different settings based on its different deployment contexts.

Well, what you can do is to use ant properties within the xdoclet
tags. Then generation with different ant tasks that refer to different
property files leads to multiple deployment units. It's a limited
approach but good enough for a subset of the multi deployment scenarios.

Beside that, AFAIK the XDoclet team is well aware of the problem and
working on less limited solutions. Let's see what they come up with in
future versions. There is no fundamental limitation in regard to
create multiple deployment units with metadata.