Another option would be to investigate Pre-Compiling your JSPs so that
the compilation time won'[t affect the first user on the system.
There was a recent thread on how to do that, and if you want an
example, I've put a framework that achieves this into my website at
the bottom of the 'My JBoss Framework' story at
http://www.nsdev.org/jboss

(If you're using JSPs... which you didn't actually say, so I'm making
an assumption.)

Enjoy.

-Neal