On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 14:29, Brian Wallis wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:57 pm, Sebastian Hauer wrote:
> > You can't use the system classloader for this.  Try the current threads
> > context classloader (Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader()).
>
> That's what I was afraid of.
>
> The code in question is in the standard JDK 1.4 library in the
> java.util.prefs.Preferences class. You are supposed to be able to extend this
> class but it doesn't quite work in a JBoss context.
>
> Pity. I wonder if this is intentional (security reasons?) or just a bug in the
> Preferences class.

The usual trick with this kind of restriction is to install a wrapper
in the classpath. This delegates to the real implementation which can
be hot deployed and lazily instantaniated in the application
classloading context.

The JVM loads the wrapper using the system classloader from the
classpath. The wrapper uses the context classloader.

This has always been a problem with IBM's VMs.

While we're on the subject, somebody should explain to the jdk
developers why Class.forName() has no notion of application context
when there are multiple applications running on different threads
in the same VM.

Regards,
Adrian

> Think I'll put in a bug report to Sun and see what happens.
>
> thanks,
> brian wallis...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock