Jeremy Rempel wrote:
Hi,

I've asked this before a few months ago but no one knew. I'm gonna ask
again because possibly someone will know. I cannot find it in the pay-for-docs.

Which ports does jboss RMI use? Can I force it to use certain ports?

I've tried using netstat to monitor ports but JBOSS keeps using random
ports. Even when I open all the random ports I still cannot get it to
work through the firewall.

I've opened 1099, 8083, 8443, 8080, 4444.

I'm using JBOSS 3.2.1. I cannot upgrade to anything else at the moment.

Thanks!

RMI negotiates ports as necessary, which is why it appears as if it is using random ports. This is an RMI thing, not an EJB or JBoss thing. There have been several discussions over the past year on using JBoss in a firewalled environment. Basically, you need to switch to the http invoker. Search the archives for "firewall". If you want to stick with RMI, then you'll need to write your own socket factory. I did that years ago in a pure RMI environment, not an EJB environment, but I would think the process would be similar. I know the various config files have entries identifying socket factories, but I haven't pursued it. Good luck.

-- Guy Rouillier