> Did you have any luck getting the make directory to work for JDE?  I
> have the exact same problem as you...

Er, what problem?  I have no problem.  I did respond once to someone
who did.

In general, I am using ant, although I'm not using the new Ant
specific build functions in JDE.  I am setting the following varibles
in my prj.el file
 '(jde-make-args "compile")
 '(jde-make-working-directory "./build/all_classes/")
 '(jde-make-program "ant")

When I run the command jde-build (on my computer this is bound to the
key [C-f5]), the compile window is created and I see my build process
running more or less as if I had done the following in a command
shell (note the "cmd#:dir_name$" for the prompt, I'm a Unix/Bash
junkie):

924:config$ cd ../all_classes/
925:all_classes$ ant compile
Searching for build.xml ...
[ lots of output cut, mostly because this run was
  full of embarrassing compile errors ]

Incidentally, note that my working directory varible uses the
relative path notation.  The prj.el file this is defined in is two
directories above all_classes, in the project root directory.  While
I set these values in a local prj.el, setting them in .emacs, and
using absolute pathnames should be just fine.  I might check this
myself, but it is currently 7.30am, I've just got to work, and I'm
still feeling sluggish.

I don't set a lot of jde varibles, and in fact, I think the three I
listed above are the only ones you need worry about.  Certainly the
jde-compile-option-* varibles will have no effect.  They only apply
when running jde-compile which compile the Java file in the current
buffer.  Beyond the three make variables, the only settings that will
really matter are the contents of you Makefile, build.xml, batch
file, whatever.

Craig McGeachie  | #include <cheesy_tag.h>
+61 (410) 774902 | while (!inebriated) c2h5oh = (++bottle)->contents;