>I did download the latest source files from the CVS web page (is that how I
>should obtain the beta release you mentioned)?  I did try it and I think
>this is a good solution, but I ran into a couple of difficulties.

>I could not compile the source with the latest Makefile file. I get the
>following error:

>/tools/emacs-site/ecb-1.40beta] make
>Byte-compiling ECB with LOADPATH=../semantic-1.4beta7 ../jde-2.2.8beta1/lisp
>emacs -batch -no-site-file -l ecb-compile-script --eval '(ecb-byte-compile
>t)'
>Symbol's value as variable is void: speedbar-dynamic-tags-function-list
>Signal 127
>make: *** [all] Error 255

Maybe you have a too old speedbar version installed. Which version of
speedbar you use?

>The other problem is that C-c . is bound in jde-mode to c-set-style, which I
>believe prevents using the C-c . as a prefix key.

C-c . is bound to c-set-style in cc-langs.el. Iīm using this too but for
me this doesnīt shadow the ECB prefix?! Maybe it related how and when you load
cc-mode?! I have a (require 'cc-mode) before the (require 'ecb).

But you are right. The prefix should be customizable and - what a luck - in the
latest CVS sources it is (see option ecb-prefix-key).
You can download latest ECB sources from the CVS (available via ECB website)
and then you can configure the ECB prefix.
Current CVS sources are very stable!

Klaus