May be it has to do with where emacs searches for the
.emacs file. It looks of it in the so called HOME directory.
I know the notion of HOME directory is different on
different version of Windows.

In other words your Windows 2000 installation is not loading the
.emacs from the location you have put. Is that the case ?

HTH,
sandip