Nick writes:
 > I also don't have syntax highlighting.  I have installed overlay-fix.el with no
 > improvement.  I am currently running XEmacs 21.4 on Windows 2000 SP3, with JDK
 > 1.4.1.

I also don't get syntax highlighting on XEmacs 21.4 and I have no clue as to why.
AFAIK there are no changes related to syntax highlighting  in the
beta release.

I was hoping by releasing this beta that Andy Piper or some other XEmacs maven
would take a look at this problem and any other XEmacs incompatibilities
and provide me with fixes.

If I don't hear from anybody in the next few days, I'll try to track down
the problem myself.

- Paul