Hi Paul,

Paul Kinnucan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Several days ago I submitted a fix to CVS for problem 1. That fix
> uses the intermediate file only if browse-url-browser-function
> is set to browse-url-default-windows-browser, i.e., Internet
> Explorer.
> The problem with that fix is that it disables the frames mode
> display for all other browsers. As I happen to like the frames
> mode display, I intend to back this fix out of CVS.

What about using the method with the intermediate file when

,----[ C-h v jde-help-use-frames RET ]
| jde-help-use-frames's value is nil
|
| A non-nil value makes the functions:`jde-help-symbol',
| `jde-help-class-member' and `jde-help-class' use frames when
displaying
|  the html javadocs.
`----

is t and use the direct url otherwise? Since the intermediate file is
only needed for frames and w3m doesn't do frames, this seems like a
reasonable approach.

Another way to differentiate behavior based on the url is to use the
regexp match functionality of browse-url-browser-function:

,----[ C-h v browse-url-browser-function RET ]
| browse-url-browser-function's value is
| (("jde_meta" . browse-url-mozilla)
|  ("file:///" . w3m-browse-other-window)
|  (".*" . w3m-browse-url))
|
| *Function to display the current buffer in a WWW browser.
| This is used by the `browse-url-at-point', `browse-url-at-mouse',
and
| `browse-url-of-file' commands.
|
| If the value is not a function it should be a list of pairs
| (REGEXP . FUNCTION).  In this case the function called will be the
one
| associated with the first REGEXP which matches the current URL.  The
| function is passed the URL and any other args of `browse-url'.  The
last
| regexp should probably be "." to specify a default browser.
`----

I do not know whether this is available in a non-CVS browse-url
package, though.

Ole
--
Ole Arndt                     http://www.sugarshark.com