> You could use zero-configuration networking for the discovery:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/about/ac123/ac147/ac174/ac206/about
> _cisco_ipj_archive_article09186a0080132b85.html

To add to this thread, we already support multicast DNS (called
Rendezvous by Apple) in Jive Messenger (Open Source server at
http://www.jivesoftware.org). So, you would use mdns to automatically
discover the central XMPP server and then normal disco, presence, etc,
to find other clients that support the services you're looking for as
Peter suggests.

Jive Messenger lists itself using the "_xmpp-client._tcp.local." service
name, which mirrors the XMPP DNS SRV entry.

Regards,
Matt