2008/3/25, Remko Tronçon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>  I get about 600 messages a day, i couldn't imagine the horror of
>  getting them all in a linear list of jabber messages from one contact.
>  Moreover, I would constantly have my 'new message' icon blinking all
>  day, so I would start ignoring the icon, and important *real* IM
>  traffic wouldn't reach me in real time.

There is a simple 2-steps solution for that ;-)
1) Make sure the notification service sends messages of the type
'normal' and not 'chat'. The latter is only meant for chat. The first
is more like email.
2) Switch to Coccinella and leave the new message dialog open the
whole day (minimized in the task bar). Only process all these messages
once a day (or a few times). More urgent chat messages will still be
visible and there will be no mix of urgent chat messages and 1000 feed
notifications. A plus is that Coccinella has no annoying "blinking
xmas tree" feature...

>  But anyway, enough ranting. I could see blog posts (etc.) getting
>  inside an IM client, if they would be tied to a contact (i.e. if they
>  are published via PEP).

Yes, "User Blogging" is definitely some XEP that is missing IMO.
Currently people abuse (IMO) presence state messages for sharing
interesting URLs, things they are doing, and so forth. IMO this
presence state message should only be used to tell e.g. you'll be back
in 5 minutes.

User Blogging feature wish:
* Twitter style blogging
* support for tags (so your contacts can opt to subscribe to only a
specific tag)
* clients will be able to provide a separate interface with history
* SoC 2009 project for integration with Wordpress B-)

> The difference with the other PEP stuff coming
>  into clients today is that, for the blog case, you probably want to be
>  able to turn off auto-subscription for a certain number of contacts
>  (as opposed to e.g. tune information, where it doesn't really matter,
>  as it doesn't interrupt you).

I think clients just should provide an interface that does not annoys
the user with every blog update. E.g., it can display a simple
*non-blinking* icon next to the contact in the roster to indicate that
there are new blog posts of this contact.

<snip>

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.