2009/3/9 Dirk Meyer <dme...@tzi.de>:
<snip>
> And I missed something I hate about XMPP: the name. You can google
> something, you can send a mail, browse the web, you can even skype
> someone. But I can't XMPP -- it is not word.

The POV of the Coccinella project is like these keywords in the description:
"Coccinella is a [..] communication tool [..] people."

The right word for XMPP-based real-time text message based
communication and presence communication between people should be
"instant messaging", not "Jabbering" or some other geek speak. Also
"Jabber ID" is bad.

Compare:
* bad, but people do not yet know it's bad : Can I get your MSN address?
* bad and people know it's bad: Can I get your Outlook address?
* good, and this is obvious to people: Can I get your email address?
* good, but people still need to understand this is obvious: Can I get
your instant messaging address?

The XMPP name and the XMPP logo should be *only* used to help people
to associate software/services with open standards. E.g.
http://coccinella.im/about#xmpp Another example is the attached
screenshot of Coccinella's Add Contact dialog. As you can see XMPP is
presented as the superior *default* system whilst other chat systems
like "MSN" and "AIM" in the dropdown list (not on the screenshot) will
be associated by the user as inferior (which indeed is true as we know
;-) ). PS: the goal is that this dropdown box can be removed in the
future ;-)

Related reading: http://coccinella.im/jabber-is-confusing

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.