Hi,

Yes, should be able to use no-arg constructor with other visibility than public. I believe that even if you don't declare one, or override the default, most of the implementations will create one at enhance time to be used. Note that you can also constructors with arguments along with your non-public no-arg constructor.

You might want to take a look at the spec <http://db.apache.org/jdo/specifications.html>, as is it might answer a lot of your questions. This constructor question, for instance, is clearly stated there: "All persistence-capable classes must have a no-arg constructor. This constructor might be a private constructor, as it is only used from within the jdoNewInstance methods. The constructor might be the default no-arg constructor created by the compiler when the source code does not define any
constructors."

Regards,
Renato