I think Roger Studner wrote:

> When I try to modify the fact.. I get an error that 'the fact is not in
> working memory'.

Short answer: before trying to modify the facts you get from a query,
use "getIcon" to resolve them:

(bind ?fact (?fact getIcon))

Better answer: upgrade to Jess 7, and use the much nicer new query
mechanism, which doesn't suffer from this problem.

Or, as Jason says, use "accumulate" to do the counting.