I would like to ask about a quite serious problem in jess. I'm working on a student project "Agents in Power Systems", developed in Jess. Agents are communicating with each other over TCP/IP sockets. To accomplish this, a broadcasting TCP server has
been written.

While sending messages via jess is not hard to implementing, message retrieval is close-to-impossible to write. The problem is, the usage of read and readline functions causes the whole jess instance to hang until a message on the server appears. While jess doesn't have a function which checks if any data is waiting on a connected socket, the soulution would be to use a non-blocking reading function, which also is not available in jess.

Maybe somebody could suggest a solution to this problem.
Any help is appreciated.
(I do not have Java knowledge sufficient to write it as a java program)