I think Jonathan Tan wrote:
> I have tried using embedded thai characters in Java code (UTF-8 format), and
> to get the characters to display properly, I need to declare the encoding
> when compiling:
>   javac -encoding utf8 thaitest.java
>
> I am not sure how achieve similar results in JESS. The result presently is
> garbage identical to if I compiled a similar program in Java without
> declaring the encoding.

Thanks for the information. I personally have virtually no experience
using non-Latin encodings, so I don't know off the top of my head if
there's a way to deal with this. Hmmm, let's Google it...

It looks as though you can set the default encoding for the JVM using
the system property "file.encoding". Try something like

  java -Dfile.encoding=utf8 jess.Main thaifile.clp

and please do let me know if that works.