On May 8, 2008, at 9:24 AM, ivo jonker wrote:

Thanks a lot, this is exactly what i was looking for.

I've just ordered the book: Jess in action and it should arrive shortly. I'm looking forward to it and i know it will be usefull.

Anyway, while i'm at it. I was wondering how JESS would be suitable for using Time as a fact. I believe jess is not able to respond 100% real-time, so i guess it's useless using time as a fact when testing for changes into seconds... I might be wrong though.

It works fairly well, actually. You have a fact like

(time (seconds 87268726))

and then have a thread, either written in Java or in Jess, which keeps a reference to this Fact object and uses Rete.modify() or (modify) to update the "seconds" slot periodically. Then your rules can just match that slot however they like and when the fact is updated the matches are evaluated.

Informatics & Decision Sciences          Phone: (925) 294-2154
PO Box 969, MS 9012                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Livermore, CA 94550                 http://www.jessrules.com