Here's my 2 cents on visual rule programming.

Building a visual programming tool for rules is feasible, but it
depends on the scope. Take lego mindstorm for example. It uses icons
to denote an action or sensor, when the program is load on the
mindstorm control, it's converted to executable code.

the trick to building one for home automation/security would be to
define the common actions and map them to an icon with the required
parameters. For example, you might have one for turning on the outside
lights and another for turning them off. If the scope is sufficiently
narrow and well defined, it "should" be straight forward.

What isn't desirable in my mind is creating a general purpose visual
programming tool for writing arbitrary rules. My bias opinion is it's
much better to write it in clips syntax directly. Another option is to
have natural language rule authoring, instead of visual rule
authoring. Again, the key is keeping the scope narrow and well
defined.

peter