I'm in a bit of a predicament and hopefully someone will have some
good advice. I am being cut back / limited to the amount of ram I can
dedicate to the heap for my rule engine.

In general, I have a batch of 20k POJO's coming in (all 1 type), and
200-300 rules pattern matching the properties of those objects. If a
rule fires, it will change a Boolean flag in a corresponding object.

Im well aware that given how the rules are written (and optimized) as
well as # of POJOs that it can greatly affect resource consumption.

I noticed the Banking Benchmark on illation for use as a comparison,
(http://blogs.illation.com.au/2009/08/performance-comparison-jess-vs-drools/comment-page-1/#comment-49)
but still am not sure about the transaction number refered to 5k, 10k,
etc POJO's in working memory or not (and the end result being a usage
of appx 600mb RAM).

Any rule of thumb would be much appreciated. Again, I am aware that it
really depends on how you write/optimize your rules along with the
batch size, but I don't want to sell myself short and not have enough
ram.