Be careful to distinguish RuleML, which is a proposed standard rule language, from JessML, which is an XML-based rule format natively supported by Jess. The point of JessML, really, is that it's easier to manipulate XML than the Lisp-like Jess rule language in code, so if you want to write some kind of translator, GUI, or other tool for manipulating Jess code, using JessML will make it much easier to do.

So in any case, JessML exists so that's it's very simple for you to create your own special-purpose front ends like what you describe.