Looks like an error in the book. Thanks for reporting it.

On Feb 15, 2011, at 10:31 AM, GMail (KU) wrote:

Dear all,

While following the "Jess in action" book to learn JESS, I run into a question.

On page 207 of the book, there is one line of code that I cannot understand fully. The part of the Listing 13.1 has (bind ?s ? question " ") and I don't quite understand why the additional " " was used in this bind method.

I tried to see the effect of the additional " " by experimenting it in the JESS command line, but did not find any meaningful difference.
For example,
JESS prompt> (bind ?question "Hello")
JESS prompt> (bind ?s ?question " ")
JESS prompt> ?s ;; returns "Hello" without the space
JESS prompt> (bind ?question "Hello")
JESS prompt> (bind ?s ?question "123")
JESS prompt> ?s ;; returns only "Hello" without 123

Can any one explain when I need to use additional " " or any string in the bind method in JESS?

Thanks in advance.

Young-Jin Lee

Informatics & Decision Sciences, Sandia National Laboratories
PO Box 969, MS 9012, Livermore, CA 94550
http://www.jessrules.com