"Jess in Action" is still valid; there are some newer features since then, and some newer best practices, but nothing in the book is *wrong*. The release notes in the Jess 7.0 manual explicitly address the 6.x -> 7.x transition and things that you might want to change, so they serve as a nice addendum to the book.

Jess is still supported, and occasional updates are still being made, but active development of new features is on hiatus for now.