Dear developers community,

I've just committed some major changes and enhancements for the trunk
Jetspeed-2.2-SNAPSHOT build system.
See: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-895

These changes will mean anyone using and building against the trunk will have
to adjust a few things.
I've spend the last week writing documentation for this *new* Maven-2 build
system which I've put temporarily online here:

  http://people.apache.org/~ate/jetspeed-2.2-maven-plugins/index.html

I invite anyone interested to read the new docs, and especially read the
rationale for the latest changes:

http://people.apache.org/~ate/jetspeed-2.2-maven-plugins/the-need-for-a-custom-lifecycle.html

The core of the new build system is based on a new plugin, jetspeed:mvn, which
is thoroughly documented here:

http://people.apache.org/~ate/jetspeed-2.2-maven-plugins/jetspeed-mvn-plugin.html

I haven't been able to complete all the needed documentation yet, in particular the docs for the jetspeed-db and jetspeed-deploy plugins still need to be written, but I don't have time left for that anymore as I'm leaving
on a three week holiday Sunday morning...

Anyway, I think I covered a lot of ground already and for those willing to try
it out, another page describing
how to build the trunk from source (and build/deploy the jetspeed-demo portal)
is available here:

http://people.apache.org/~ate/jetspeed-2.2-maven-plugins/building-jetspeed.html

Finally a last warning: I also didn't have time anymore to update the current
jetspeed-archetype, so *don't* expect
it to work right away! But, with the now available documentation and example
configurations like for the
jetspeed-demo portal it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt a current/new
custom Jetspeed Portal to the new
build system. Maybe Niels (who contributed the current jetspeed-archetype) can
spend a few hours on upgrading?
I'm sure David or Dennis are more than willing to commit it ;)

As soon as I'm back from my holiday I'll do my best to complete the rest of the docs ASAP as well as bringing the jetspeed-archetype project up to date (if still needed...).

In the mean time, good luck everyone with the new Maven-2 build, and comments, suggestions and patches (including for the docs and jetspeed-archetype!) will be very welcome.

With kind regards,

Ate Douma