Portlet apps packaged in war files can be directly deployed to Tomcat by
copying the war file into the $TOMCAT/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/deploy/
directory. A  directory watcher that will automatically register and deploy the
app, see more info here:

https://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/guide-tomcat.html
<https://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/deployguide/guide-tomcat.html>

If you want to remotely control Tomcat via Jetspeed’s Portlet Application
Manager, you’ll need to set up a few properties in your override.properties
(jetspeed.properties),

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# A P P L I C A T I O N S E R V E R M A N A G E R  (TOMCAT ONLY, INVOKED
THROUGH J2-ADMIN PALM PORTLET)
#----'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
application.server.host=localhost
application.server.port=8080
# Path to access the Tomcat manager, see:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/manager-howto.html
# Note: For default Tomcat 6- this should be adjusted to: /manager
application.server.manager.script.path=/manager/text
# Tomcat user name/password having role "manager-script" for access to the
Tomcat Manager
# By default these are undefined (disabled Tomcat Manager access)
application.server.manager.name=
application.server.manager.password=
 the name and password must match Tomcat’s conf/tomcat-users.xml:

<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="manager-script"/>
    <user username="j2deployer" password="xxxxx" roles="manager-script"/>
</tomcat-users>