The Beatles couldn't read music, neither can Stevie Wonder. I've heard the same about Naftule Brandwein.

At 05:35 PM 3/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Jacobowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: Yes! Judaism: A HEADNOTE

> B"H MUNICH > > > > Our Jewish religion has so many positive aspects. > > It's sad that > > certain factions only address the no-nos. Where > > are the yes-yesses? > > Why don't they speak of those things instead? The > > Baal-Shem Tov > > addressed the positive aspects in joy and love. > > What a model for us > > all, Chasidic or not. > > Those who read music - klezmer, classical > or whatever - know what it is to "read it down", > that is, to play the notes through. No pushing the > envelope, no "interpretation", no playing "outside > the box". The holy Baal Shem Tov took the "text" > of Judaism and developed it, improvised, expanded, > embellished, polished it, while staying true to the > text. Not everyone is an artist, of course. However, > we can only rise above the material by mastering it > first. Artistry is earned, not claimed. >

I suspect most musicians on the list'll disagree. Is there anyone who CAN'T
think of at least one artist who only knew a few chords and wasn't too
versatile, but managed to do something brilliant nevertheless?

Alex Lubet, Ph. D. Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies University of Minnesota 100 Ferguson Hall Minneapolis, MN 55455 612 624-7840 (o) 612 699-1097 (h) 612 624-8001 ATTN: Alex Lubet (FAX)

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash