----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex J. Lubet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: Wagner and Liszt

> I should go further and note that I've heard (can't verify) that Liszt not
> only loved Sulzer's singing, he regarded him as the best vocalist of their
> time.  Sulzer did apparently hang out with some august company, having
also
> known Schubert.
>
> This is getting to be quite a long and interesting thread.  Off this
track,
> I'm wondering if anyone out there has seen the film Cradle Will Rock,
about
> composer Marc Blitztein?  It's been around for a few years, but I just
> taught it in my film class and spoke about it at the Society for Cinema
and
> Media Studies.  Blitztein is probably best known for his adaptation of The
> Threepenny Opera, not only translating the words, but making the music
sound
> more American and jazzy.  Some of the music in the score is Blitztein's
but
> some of the original music is probably best described as Yiddish swing.
>
> The film has some currency because of the inclusion of Mexican painters
> Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo.  I just saw the new film Frida and really
> liked it.  The music is wonderful, not Jewish in style, but it is by
Elliott
> Goldenthal, whose work I've found to be very good.  I learned quite a few
> things from this film, among them that Kahlo's father was a German Jew.
>
> Shevua Tov,

That is quite explicit in the beautiful film "Frida".

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash