On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 19:22 +0100, Peter Grandi wrote:

> jasmin> Hi, I've noticed that there's defrag code in jfsutils
> jasmin> but it's not build.  Why is that? Is it
> jasmin> broken/unmaintained?

The utilities were originally ported from OS/2.  The defrag utility
depended on an ioctl that we never got around to implementing in linux.
Besides that, the defrag code as it is on OS/2 is pretty limited.  It
moved data around on the disk in order to defragment the free space, but
it didn't do anything for already fragmented files.

There never was a high priority placed on having the defrag utility
ported, but it was left in the source tree in case someone ever got
around to trying to get it working.

> Well, I had thought about that some long time ago, but I have
> realized that in-place defragmentation is a mad idea...
>
> More details here:
>
>   http://WWW.sabi.co.UK/Notes/anno06-2nd.html#060422b

This works if you can take the file system off line for a while.
In-place defragmentation on a mounted drive can still be useful in cases
where downtime is not tolerated.

Shaggy
--
David Kleikamp