Hi,

I am working with an IBM THinkpad R40 2722 using Debian unstable (Linux
2.6.8, compiled from Debians kernel-source package). JFS is compiled
built-in and is the fs of the root partition. While on another machine
jfs workes great (after xfs eat my data various times), there are some
problems on my laptop

1) Access to the filesystem results in a fairly high cpu load. The usual
updatedb cron-job, when find walks across the disk, gives a load of no
less than 4 with the system getting really slow. Transfers via ftp oder
scp across eth0 nearly stall when data is written onto the disk. xosview
shows a 100% cpu load (sys) while gkrellm suggests, the processor is
mostly idle. top shows about "85% wa". I am rather unsure whether this
is enough to find the cause, so please let me know, which further
information you need and how I can provide it.

2) I am using laptop mode which worked well with ext2. Some websites
say jfs is supported while others do not. However, standalone LM does
nothing while being used with the smartspindown script the disk actually
spins down. However, few accesses disturb the procedure and I would like
to find out, which file has been read/written to. dmesg gives e.g. "write
block 7688"; so how do I find out, which file is associated with this
block?

3) Is there an easy way to find the file which causes this log?

  non-latin1 character 0x393 found in JFS file name
  mount with iocharset=utf8 to access

Or can I just ignore this? Thanks in advance!

Best wishes
Torsten