Hi Gilles!

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 08:40:26PM +0100, Gilles Meier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've some problems with a JFS Partition.
> Yesterday I have bought a new HDD (250 Go).
> After the installation, I've created one partition, and then I have
> formatted it with JFS.
> Sadly, I've made a mistake : I've typed `mkfs.jfs /dev/hdd`.

mkfs.jfs /dev/hdd is not really a mistake. I'm using one HD without
partitioning. Without using a partition table the JFS 'partition' is now
32kB (or something like that) bigger! ;-)

> Then I launch fdisk again, the partition were still here, so I think
> there was no problem and formatted my hdd with the right commande
> (`mkfs.jfs /dev/hdd1`). Everything goes fine, I moved my data on this
> new drive.
> But after the restart, the partition has disapeared.
>
> I've tried rescue mode with fdisk, but nothing.
> Then, I try parted, and he says me :
>
> (parted) print
> Disk geometry for /dev/hdd: 0.000-238475.179 megabytes
> Disk label type: msdos
> Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags
> (parted) rescue
> Start? 0.000
> End? 238475.179
> Information: A jfs primary partition was found at 0.000Mb ->
> 238433.211Mb.  Do you want to add it to the partition table?
> Yes/No/Cancel? N
> Information: A jfs primary partition was found at 0.028Mb ->
> 238433.238Mb.  Do you want to add it to the partition table?
> Yes/No/Cancel? N
> (parted)
>
> But nor the first, nor the seconde gave results...
> When I try to create them, and then run fsck.jfs, he complains :

I would guess that mkfs.jfs /dev/hdd killed the partition table. What is
the output of fdisk -l /dev/hdd?

Did you try to fdisk the HD again. Using fdisk doesn't kill any
data on a partition (If mkfs.jfs /dev/hdd1 after the mkfs.jfs /dev/hdd
created the FS exactly the same way it would do normally. But fdisk
showed you the partition after your mistake. So we can assume that
mkfs.jfs used the same partition information.)

To give you an example that partitioning doesn't kill data on a
partition I describe what I did some weeks ago:
I had a 120GB HD with two 60GB partitions. I wanted to create one big
120GB partition. I removed all the data from the second one. In fdisk I
killed both partitions and created a new one using the complete disk
space. When I mounted the first partition I had access to the data of
the former first partition. mount told me that it is a 60GB partition.
So I used the JFS remount option 'resize' to let JFS use the whole HD.
And everything is working fine.

And if you want to be sure that you don't destroy something during the
tests buy another 250 GB HD and copy the complete HD using
dd if=/dev/hdd of=/dev/hdc
hdc is the new HD.

Regards

Michael