On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 20:15 -0500, Chris Shafer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One of my users uploaded a file to JFS partition that appears it might contain
> characters from a different character set. The file shows up in the tab
> completion list for bash, and in the listing of the directory inode in
> jfs_debugfs but when I try to rename it, it can not stat the file. Same when I
> try to excute any command on it for that matter. I was curious if there was a
> way to rename the file through jfs_debugfs.

You can, but it might be easier to mount the partition with -o
iocharset=utf8, and you should be able to rename the file to an ascii
name, then remount it normally.

To do it through jfs_debugfs, you should find the inode number of the
containing directory, ls -i, and use the "dtree" subcommand in
jfs_debugfs to navigate the directory tree.  If you need to do this, it
shouldn't be too hard to figure out from there.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center