Floods have been a regular feature in North Bihar since time immemorial.
With deforestation in Nepal and the lack of strong embankments, the fury
has increased. The Government of Bihar has failed to evolved a reliable
strategy to control floods. The people in power have only been interested
in extracting money from both the Central and State governments in the
name of relief in order to enrich themselves. Wherever there are are
embankments, they are not properly maintained nor is the rising levels of
rivers monitored and actions taken accordingly. India must collaborate
with Nepal to evolve a joint long-term strategy to prevent floods whether
in Kosi, Baghmati, Gandak or other rivers. Every year after flood waters
recede the State government goes into a deep slumber.

Girish Mishra