My question is - in both Gujarat and Orissa, the BJP is in power. Why hasn't
it used lawful means to stop conversions? Why does conversion issue directly
lead to violence?

In case of Orissa, it is very clear that the Maoists have killed Swamiji.
This was announced by Vamshadhara Committee of the Maoists within hours of
the killing and then reaffirmed. To keep on insisting that Christians have
killed Swamiji, and to use that to launch deliberate and direct attacks on a
minority, killing innocent people, burning churches and houses- is that
justified as per our law and constitution.

Everyone here is aware about the genocides caused through religion across
history - and one generally accepts that the conglomeration of faiths that
we called hinduism have been more tolerant and assimilative then the semitic
faiths such as christianity and Islam. But must we, in this age and time,
living in a democratic state, take law into our own hands and start killing
innocent people. Is that not terrorism?

What we see with Hindutva and Hindutva forces is their effort to copy the
worst aspect of semitic religions and transplant it into hindu faith, using
religion as the basis of nation building. To transform what is essentially a
pluralistic, diverse society into a society with a common identity, what
serves better than to stand up "the other" whether it be muslims or
Christians. At the same time, it becomes the route to power, which would
again be used to further this agenda.

But we must remember that in this modern times, no state can be build purely
on religions faith or on identity politics - this is specially true of a
nation that is so diverse and pluralistic. The framers of our constitution
understood this very well. We can see what has happened to Pakistan. That
way lies fascism, chaos and perdition. In an age where even a small minority
can reach out to technology and destroy large number of lives, can we afford
a nation and polity based on hatred and exclusion. Force doesn't work and
there is always a blowback - see the experience of the world's sole
hyperpower - being forced out of Iraq by next two years, their tails between
their legs; and Russia thumbing their nose at them. For the same reason, the
Maoists will be rejected by the vast majority of Indian people, inspite of
the suffering and deprivation that they suffer at the hands on an indiferent
State and elite.

We must follow the rule of law; and change the laws where they are unjust or
impractical. Taking law into one's own hands, specially for carrying out
violence against other citizens, is terrorism and thuggery and a lawful
citizenry should never tolerate that.Friends who feel that christian
missionaries are unfairly "converting" adivasies to christianity are welcome
to go to the courts; or if the laws are not good enough, get their
representatives to pass new laws.

Why do they condone violence? Can't the middle class that supports the
lumpen elements to loot and rape realise that sooner or later these elements
will turn on them. The increasing economic divide and the frustration among
unemployed youth finds an outlet in such violence - after the Christians and
Muslims, who would be their next targets- the affluent Hindus?

Religious fundamentalism and intolerance by the majority community is the
greatest threat to the Indian nation, its constitution and our democracy.

Regards

Kundan