I really don't see any rationale for this hype being created regarding changing
the name of Bihar. The first article rightly pointed out quoting Professor
Amartya Sen that Bihar indeed has been the seat of Indian civilisation,
religion and culture through ages. Such historicity permeates Bihar with a long
standing reputation. Today things have changed because of the vicious cycle of
poverty and venality. It is a sad state of affairs. But historical facts are
incontrovertible. Bihar continues to remain the historically speaking, a
province which held the tradition of education, and secular democracy.

Ananya S Guha

Shillong.

Dear all,

I agree with Dr Shahin Ansari, whats in the name? the problem is in the
attitude which should change... and it will not happen overnight... education,
livelihood, exposure and understanding of other cultures has to improve...
attitude to respect every one should develop.

Bihari people are in T20 in education and competative exams... but do they get
education or only being literate for getting a good job OR ????? is enough. In
my understanding, education is not ment for getting job or ??? but for getting
knowledge to serve the society and develop a culture. B

Bihar was reach in culture, education, trade etc. but please.. we try to be in
present tense... try to develop... not just pulling legs and calling names...
support, cooperate and feel that we are not different but in the family only.

Abhijit Chanda
An Indian

Changing the name of Bihar is a tremendous idea! What alternatives do we have
though?

Mona Mishra

Bihar needs trifurcation (Mithila, Magadh, Bhojpur), some say also Anga( which
has been culturally always with Mithila).
Only changing name will not do- Bihar is an artificial state created by first
Giuasuddin Tugalaque in 1329(annexing north of Ganagatic Mithila to southern
Magadh), then by British in 1912 (removing present Bihar and Orissa as
non-Bengali and then from that in 1936 Oriya speaking Orissa, then in 2000
removing Jharkhand on the name of tribal though it has only 22 per cent tribal
population)..

However it was forgotten that Mithila has its distinct language and shade of
culture than other parts of Bihar. Mithilavasis' support to Jharkhand movement
is on records and Jharkhandis should support Mithila state movement going on.
Dr. Dhanakar Thakur
Spokesman,
Antarrashtriya Maithili Parishad
  • ... Asit K . Barma
    • ... juhi_roy
      • ... Dr Shaheen Ansari | Susmita Dasgupta | Samuel Lakra | Azhar Kamal | Avinash Kumar
    • ... Mona Mishra | Ananya Guha | Abhijit Chanda | Dr. Thakur