Dear Friends,To those who think that they are not affected by environmental
pollution often brush aside our claims as 'phantom claims of jollawallas'.
In the early 90's an IB guy from Jamshedpur visited me at our office in
Chaibase. He wanted to know why we are opposing uranium mining in Singhbhum.
After explaining to him in great detail about radioactive pollution he
remained unconvinced and was unable to comprehend what I was telling him . I
than told him about one of our recent findings which we were not at that
time ready go public about as publicity of it would affect the social image
of the people living in and around the Jadugora mines.

I told him that we had found out that males after reaching normal puberty
were experiencing sex changes. Shrinking of their penises and slight
enlargement of their breast. He still did not care to understand. I then
told him that these deformities need not be contained within Adivasi
communities but all those coming within the radius of radioactive pollution
from Jadugora which included Jamshedpur. He jumped up and looked at me for a
second and got very restless after that. Nervous he said on leaving "I am
going to write this in my report"

That attention you get not only when you get hit below the belt but also
when it threatens your own blood.

Five years ago a study in Britain showed that the burning of plastics
releases chemicals in the air that reduces the sperm count in men. Not much
attention was given to it but surveys show that the sperm count in men in
Britain is falling.

Below is an article published in the New York Times. I hope reading it will
help our environment skeptics to realise that 'they and their families are
as much within the danger line as the millions in India suffering from
chemical pollution. I hate to say it but for some we have got to hit below
the belt in order that it registers in their minds. Climate change may seem
remote. Sex change will not.

Sincerely,

Xavier Dias
JMACC

It’s Time to Learn From Frogs
 By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: June 27, 2009

Some of the first eerie signs of a potential health catastrophe came as
bizarre deformities in water animals, often in their sexual organs.
 Skip to next
paragraph<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/opinion/28kristof.html?th&emc=th#secondParagraph>
Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times

Nicholas D. Kristof
  On the Ground <http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/>

Nicholas Kristof addreader resses feedback and posts short takes from his
travels.

<http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/><http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/nicholasdkristof/index.html>

Frogs, salamanders and other amphibians began to sprout extra legs. In heavily
polluted Lake Apopka<http://www.sjrwmd.com/publications/pdfs/fs_lapopka.pdf>,
one of the largest lakes in Florida, male alligators developed stunted
genitals.

In the Potomac watershed near Washington, male smallmouth bass have rapidly
transformed into “intersex fish” that display female characteristics. This
was discovered only in 2003, but the latest survey
found<http://www.fws.gov/chesapeakebay/pdf/endocrine.pdf>that more
than 80 percent of the male smallmouth bass in the Potomac are
producing eggs.

Now scientists are connecting the dots with evidence of increasing
abnormalities among humans, particularly large increases in numbers of
genital deformities among newborn boys. For example, up to 7 percent of boys
are now born with undescended testicles, although this often self-corrects
over time. And up to 1 percent of boys in the United States are now born
with hypospadias, in which the urethra exits the penis improperly, such as
at the base rather than the tip.

Apprehension is growing among many scientists that the cause of all this may
be a class of chemicals called endocrine
disruptors<http://www.endocrinedisruption.com/home.php>.
They are very widely used in agriculture, industry and consumer products.
Some also enter the water supply when estrogens in human urine — compounded
when a woman is on the pill — pass through sewage systems and then through
water treatment plants.

These endocrine disruptors have complex effects on the human body,
particularly during fetal development of males.

“A lot of these compounds act as weak estrogen, so that’s why developing
males — whether smallmouth bass or humans — tend to be more sensitive,” said
Robert Lawrence, a professor of environmental health sciences at the Johns
Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “It’s scary, very scary.”

The scientific case is still far from proven, as chemical companies
emphasize, and the uncertainties for humans are vast. But there is
accumulating evidence that male sperm count is dropping and that genital
abnormalities in newborn boys are increasing. Some studies show correlations
between these abnormalities and mothers who have greater exposure to these
chemicals during pregnancy, through everything from hair spray to the water
they drink.

Endocrine disruptors also affect females. It is now well established that
DES <http://www.cdc.gov/DES/>, a synthetic estrogen given to many pregnant
women from the 1930s to the 1970s to prevent miscarriages, caused
abnormalities in the children. They seemed fine at birth, but girls born to
those women have been more likely to develop misshaped sexual organs and
cancer.

There is also some evidence from both humans and monkeys that endometriosis,
a gynecological disorder, is linked to exposure to endocrine disruptors.
Researchers also suspect that the disruptors can cause early puberty in
girls.

A rush of new research has also tied endocrine disruptors to obesity,
insulin resistance and diabetes, in both animals and humans. For example,
mice exposed in utero even to low doses of endocrine disruptors appear
normal at first but develop excess abdominal body fat as adults.

Among some scientists, there is real apprehension at the new findings —
nothing is more terrifying than reading The Journal of Pediatric Urology —
but there hasn’t been much public notice or government action.

This month, the Endocrine Society, an organization of scientists
specializing in this field, issued a landmark 50-page statement. It should
be a wake-up call.

“We present the evidence that endocrine disruptors have effects on male and
female reproduction, breast development and cancer, prostate cancer,
neuroendocrinology, thyroid, metabolism and obesity, and cardiovascular
endocrinology,” the society
declared<http://edrv.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/30/4/293>
.

“The rise in the incidence in obesity,” it added, “matches the rise in the
use and distribution of industrial chemicals that may be playing a role in
generation of obesity.”

The Environmental Protection Agency is moving toward
screening<http://www.epa.gov/endo/>endocrine disrupting chemicals, but
at a glacial pace. For now, these
chemicals continue to be widely used in agricultural pesticides and
industrial compounds. Everybody is exposed.

“We should be concerned,” said Dr. Ted Schettler of the Science and
Environmental Health Network <http://www.sehn.org/>. “This can influence
brain development, sperm counts or susceptibility to cancer, even where the
animal at birth seems perfectly normal.”

The most notorious example of water pollution occurred in 1969, when the
Cuyahoga River <http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/aoc/cuyahoga.html> in Ohio caught
fire and helped shock America into adopting the Clean Water Act. Since then,
complacency has taken hold.

Those deformed frogs and intersex fish — not to mention the growing number
of deformities in newborn boys — should jolt us once again.