This same situation works fine in my tests, such as this one:
<collection field="ints">
<value name="int"/>
</collection>
Even though I'm calling the elements "int" here, the values are treated as strings. All I can suggest is that you package up a simplified version of your application with an Ant build.xml and send the whole thing (as a zip or tgz) directly to me (not to the list). I'll try it out and isolate the problem.

 - Dennis

Άγγελος Καράντζαλης wrote:

Here's my binding:

<mapping name="sync-req-message"
class="com.talent.data.replication.messages.SyncRequestMessage"
extends="com.talent.cruiser.messaging.CruiserMessage" >
<structure map-as="com.talent.cruiser.messaging.CruiserMessage"/>
<value name="action"    field="strAction"/>
<value name="application"    field="strAppId"/>
<value name="sync-policy"    field="syncPolicy"/>
<value name="sync-type"    field="syncType"/>
<collection field="tablenames">
       <value name="tablename"/>
</collection>
</mapping>

tablenames is defined as  protected ArrayList tablenames; in my code.

Check your binding again. The sample Cameron gave you is correct (except
for the collection as an empty tag - that should be <collection
field="tablenames"> with no '/' before the '>'). From the errer message
I'd suspect you have something like:

<collection field="tablenames">
<structure ...

With a <structure> component instead of a <value>.

- Dennis