I got it to work. I needed to give the collection a factory method for HashSets.
I removed the item-type and type attributes of <collection> and added the
factory. I also added a structure that specifies the types. One of the samples
that JiBX ships with (example 8 or 9) did it this way.

My old mapping was:

 <binding forwards="false" value-style="attribute">
   <mapping class="FlockTest" name="flock-test">
 [....]
        <collection field="flockTestDetails"
                item-type="FlockTestDetail"
                type="java.util.HashSet"
                usage="optional"/>
 </mapping>

And my new mapping is:

<binding forwards="false" value-style="attribute">
  <mapping class="FlockTest" name="flock-test">
  [....]
  <collection field="flockTestDetails"
        factory="FlockTestDetail.HashSetFactory">
        <structure
                type="FlockTestDetail"
                usage="optional"/>
  </collection>
  </mapping>
</binding>

I have to say that I am very happy with the ease with which I was able to
generate a binding file from my hibernate domain objects using jibx-genbinding.
It was also just a cut-and-paste of sample code to get my marshalling code to
work (with some small tweaks in the binding file). I also have maven2 calling
the binding compiler. Very nice. Great documentation too!

Morgan