Here's what I found so far trying to use HTTPClient for the monitor.

Cons:
1. the current release candidate doesn't have an easy way to set the HTTP headers
2. HTTPClient contains similar objects like Cookie
3. Using HTTPClient would mean refactoring HTTPSampler

Pros:
1. HTTPClient supports digest auth and NTLM
2. the API is relatively simple and easy to use
3. it uses raw sockets

I haven't performed any benchmarks and not sure it would make much difference. Right
now it's not clear to me there's enough advantage. Originally I thought the monitor
would have to support digest auth, but it looks like Tomcat's /manager/status servlet
doesn't handle digest auth correctly. I wasn't able to get HTTPClient or internet
explorer to authenticate against the manager webapp when I set it to "digest".

It looks like the current HTTPSampler is sufficient for the monitor, so I'm inclined
to just stick with what we have. I like how we handle HTTP headers and don't really
feel like patching HTTPClient.

peter lin