From: Jean-Sebastien Morisset [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 September 2003 13:41
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: ab vs jmeter

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:18:53AM -0700, Frank Rizzo wrote:
> you should be able to run at least 20 threads on a pentium class machine.
also, if you click on the test plan node in the tree, make sure functional
test mode is unchecked.

[snip!]

> So the answer is that jmeter, under normal circumstances, should be able
to perform better than what you've reported.  But without more information,
I cannot speculate why you are seeing such poor performance.

Thanks for your reply Frank. With 2-3 threads on my smallest machine,
jmeter-server maxed out the CPU, while ApacheBench could run with 1000
concurrent requests. Admitedly, this was a very small machine and is not
representative of the hardware I'll be using to run the actual tests. It
_did_ give me a good comparison between AB and JMeter.

At first it appeared as though the stress test would be simple GETs, but
I just learned that for each "session" (1 get of this page, 5 gets of
that one, and 10 of another) I must supply a unique 32 bit alpha-numeric
parameter in each request. ApacheBench cannot do this, so I'll have to
use JMeter. I've found a couple of decent size servers I can use, so it
shouldn't be too bad. My problem will be generating that 32 bit string.
The "Counter" pre-processor certainly won't be enough. Do you have any
suggestions? :)

Thanks!
js.
--
Jean-Sebastien Morisset, Sr. UNIX Administrator <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Personal Home Page <http://jsmoriss.mvlan.net/>