BAZLEY, Sebastian wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Steffen Fiedler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 05 December 2003 16:31
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: Remote-Testing Problems

Ok, i've got it! It was a rmiregistry problem with linux: rmiregistry seems to use /etc/hosts for resolving names

AFAIK, other OSes have similar mechanisms.

and the machine name was specified for 127.0.0.1

Sorry, can you explain this further?

Which name was specified?

And was there a JMeter server running on localhost?

I tried to remote-start a test on machine "phoenix". /etc/hosts (on phoenix) looked like that:

127.0.0.1       phoenix localhost
192.168.38.187   phoenix.sourcepark.net

But the computername "phoenix" may not appear in the 127.0.0.1 - line,
otherwise rmiregistry is confused.

changing /etc/hosts to

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.38.187   phoenix.sourcepark.net

works.

Removing this makes it work.

What was removed?

Thanks anyway,

OK.

I'm still concerned that the error message produced by JMeter did not seem
to be very helpful in establishing the cause of the problem. Maybe this can
be improved.

Or at least there's some material here for a JMeter TroubleShooting
document...

I think the JMeter-logfile contains messages from all remote-hosts (?), so the errormessage appears on controlling JMeter-clients log. It have nothing to do with the localhost related to controlling JMeter-client specified in jmeter.properties. An extra logfile on each remote-host (and a little bit more output at all) would be nice.

Hope its comprehensible, my english is not the best Steffen

S.