Thank you for the reply.  Here's my test plan:

Test Plan
        Thread Group
                Recording Controller
                        View Results Tree
                        HTTP Authorization Manager
                        HTTP Request
                                Browser-derived headers
                                Regular Expression Extractor <-- grabs id,
assign TESTID variable
                        HTTP Request <- Path field has
http://server/subdir/${TESTID}

I view the Results Tree and looked at 2nd HTTP Request data - it shows
"http://server/subdir/${TESTID}";.  TESTID should resolve and contain a value
extracted by Regular Expression Extractor but it doesn't. Grrrrrr...  If I
put ${TESTID} in the Parameter section in the 2nd HTTP Request, it resolves
to the value extracted by "Regular Expression Extractor".

My OS is NT 4.0 SP6 and JMeter.bat dated 8/17/2003 v.1.9.1

Lastly, if I added a "HTTP URL Re-writing Modifier" with "Path Extension"
checked, ${TESTID} does resolve in the Path field but it adds the ";" at
end, which is an invalid URL.  Sigh...  Please help.

Thanks again,
/peter