It turns out that the subsequent http request, after
the initial http request and is matched with an http
link parser, did not have a broken pattern and so
somehow that problem only showed any symptoms (other
than logged errors) after I added the header manager.

Once I fixed the http request pattern the header
manager worked properly.  Strange thing is that the
http request worked sometimes but not all the time.
Hope this makes sense.