hi
possible problems that i can think of are
a. You have loaded the Jmeter client with more load than it can handle (as a
rule of thumb i wouldn't run more than 20-25 threads from a single client
jmeter).  You would need to distribute your test across multiple machines
(You can check whether your machine is overloaded by using your OS specific
perf monitoring tool - reliability and perf monitor on windows)
b. There is something that you need to tweak in your tests(e.g. if your
application uses caches , and the browser based tests are hitting the cache,
whereas the Jmeter tests are not)
c. You are downloading embedded resources (e.g. big flash/movie files or
something whereas the browser either has it cached or is streaming it).This
can easily be tested by checking your script and clearing your browser cache
before accessing the site while your load test is running.

regards
deepak