After looking into it further, it's looking like my approach of writing a
custom sampler to spin off sub-threads to do individual concurrent requests
will not work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but JMeter bases its reporting off
the one SampleResult object returned from the sampler's sample() method. So
if each individual run of my sampler ran multiple requests via a number of
sub-threads, I have no way of reporting the results of each of those
individual requests. The best I could do would be to aggregate all the
results of the individual thread requests in some manner and return that as
the sampler's result. Is that correct?

Dave