it looks to me that the counter gets invoked twice when it is part of the
while conditions definition that why you see increment by 2 (which may or
may not be a bug)
This works
Thread Group
While controlle r${__javaScript( "${cnt}" != "10" )}
+Sampler  ${__counter(TRUE,cnt)} --> use this form the time you want the
counter increment
+sampler ${cnt} anytime within the loop after that

i.e. it looks like the the call to counter must be within the loop , not on
the condition

regards
deepak