I'll look into changing that, Rolf, if you feel it to be important. It was
necessary to have the background distinct from any actually used color, and
this seemed to be a simple way to do it. At the time I couldn't think of a
better way. These are core functions, at the heart of what makes Jmol's
rendering so incredibly fast, and one has to think very carefully before
adjusting them.

Bob

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900