On 15 May 2009 at 21:19, Aidar Mahmutov wrote:
> Now, I'm just interesed in "groups". For what reason it exists?

A "group" is a group of atoms with a common group ID. They have a meaning in
proteins
and nucleic acids, where they are residues (amino acids and nucleotides,
respectively).
In addition, other non-protein and non-nucleic parts of the model are also
assigned groups.
For example, cofactors, ions, prosthetic groups and water molecules. All these
are called
"hetero".
Each group has a name (the standard 3-letter amino acid abbreviation, or the
standard one
or two-letter nucleotide: A T G C U DA DT DG DC) and a number which usually is
its order
in the sequence of the chain.
Hetero groups also have a name (for many of them, standardized by the PDB) and
may
have a number which is not significant in terms of sequence but helps to
identify or select
them separately.

In file formats different from pdb or cif, there are no groups as far as I know.