Jonathan,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Jonathan Gutow <gu...@uwosh.edu> wrote:

> Based on what I can find in the code here are my options:
>
> 1) Modify getShapeProperty to include a getStateCmd option.  Sounds simple,
> but I find this access method strange as it duplicates methodologies built
> into the programming language.  Isn't it easier to define public getter
> functions within objects or make objects publicly readable? This has the
> additional advantage that if getters have javadoc attached to them it is
> much easier to figure out what the things you are looking for are called.

You can't access any shape that is not in org.jmol.shape directly. That
would break the modular loading of Jmol. You would have to put a default
method definition in org.jmol.Shape even if it is for something very
specialized like this. So the design efficiency is to put any such
specialized call into getShapeProperty. It's very efficient.

> 2) My present preference (lacking public getter functions) is to use the
> viewer.getShapeManager() function to grab the list of shapes and pick the
> data I want out of the data structure.  Of course, when the data structure
> is changed my functions will break.

I thought you were just interested in isosurfaces, so there's no problem
there using getShapeProperty.

> 3) Add public getter functions to ShapeManager.  It looks like it might
> have to be abstract for both of the things I am most interested in (stateCmd
> and boundBoxCorners), because different shapes have different info.  A prime
> example is drawn polygons for which I will need to check all the vertices to
> define the boundbox as that does not appear in the data structure.

I think you are talking about way more than I am. Drawn polygons and what
else? Are you thinking this would be applicable to all shapes? I'd like to
see a clear description, then, of exactly what you are talking about before
you go too far on this. We need to work out all the details then BEFORE we
get going on the methods. Let's see what you have in mind...

Bob

> I think options 2 & 3 are something Bob is trying to avoid.  Bob, can you
> explain why?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Jonathan
>                         Dr. Jonathan H. Gutow
> Chemistry Department                                gu...@uwosh.edu
> UW-Oshkosh                                          Office: 920-424-1326
> 800 Algoma Boulevard                                FAX:920-424-2042
> Oshkosh, WI 54901
>                http://www.uwosh.edu/facstaff/gutow

Robert M. Hanson
Professor of Chemistry
St. Olaf College
1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr
phone: 507-786-3107

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900