Thanks, Oliver

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Oliver Stueker <
revilo2...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> and yet again you have managed to make a great piece of Software even
> much greater!
>
> I just recently noticed two things that haven't found their way into
> the online docs:
>
> 1) the new CONTACT command
>    (but luckily that has a good section on the examples-12/new.htm
> page - if you know where to look)

Wow. Didn't take long for someone to notice that! We're actively working on
it. Probably this week we can get it completed. I decided we needed to get
the documentation out without detailed explanation of the CONTACT command.
It's really rather complicated, and we want to get it right.

> 2) that ISOSURFACE MAP can take an "apbs.dx" file as an argument
>    e.g. ISOSURFACE iso1 COLORSCHEME "rwb" COLOR absolute -5 5
> SASURFACE MAP "apbs.dx.gz"

Suggestion? How does this sound?

Isosurfaces can be created in Jmol using external file-based "volume" or
"polygon" data. Note that any of the formats that are volume data (APBS,
CUBE, Chem3D, DSN6/OMAP, MRC/CCP4, XPLOR/CNS) can all be used either to
generate the surface itself or (after the MAP keyword) to color a surface.

I've reorganized the isosurface description a bit.

>    well if someone sees that data can be passed as a variable someone
> could also try to load the file directly there,
>    but I had to look at the PDB2PQR / APBS server at the NBCR to
> figure that out.
>
> 2b) I believe "ISOSURFACE COLOR absolute -n n" isn't mentioned in the
> ISOSURFACE section as well.
>
> And it would be a real pity if those features would be forgotten.

"color absolute" changed to "color range" somewhere along the way; "color
absolute" is still there for compatibility, but the documentation refers to
"color range" instead. I don't remember why I thought that was a good idea.
Maybe because there is no "color relative"?

Bob

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900