On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Angel Herráez <angel.herr...@uah.es>wrote:

> > Visible is a bit different. With proteins, any atom in a group that
> > is shown with a cartoon (for instance) is "visible" even though it is
> > not a ball or star itself.
>
> So is e.g. a beta carbon in an amino acid displayed as cartoon only.
>
> Is that also "displayed" ?

yes. DISPLAYED is specifically what you have indicated are not to be hidden.

$ load "c:/jmol-dev/bobtest/cyclohexane_movie.xyz"
35 models

$ select displayed
630 atoms selected
$ select visible
18 atoms selected

Definitely not the same thing. As I said, there is a bug:

load $C\C=C\CC
select _C
wireframe off
spacefill off
display !_H
select visible // 5  (but nothing is showing)

That's a bug that probably goes back to 2006.

Robert M. Hanson
Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry
St. Olaf College
Northfield, MN
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900